A paról is an ornamental, star-shaped Christmas lantern from the Philippines. It is traditionally made out of bamboo and paper and comes in various sizes and shapes, but generally the basic star pattern remains dominant. (source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parol)
This is the season of parol making as a school project. It is the time to be creative because most schools require a hand made lantern from recycled materials. I would like to share this project so that you'll have an idea about parol making using old magazine pages. The DIY craft procedure on how to make parol or Christmas lantern using recycled materials is very exciting and an eco-friendly job or hobby.
1. Cut the magazine page into a long rect
angle, fold it lengthwise three times and roll it like this. The ideal thickness is 3/4 inch.
2. Form 5 triangles using your glue.
3. This is how our parol will look like.
4. Make paper beads. (refer to How to Make Paper Bead Accesories for step by step in doing a paper bead. Insert a wire into paper beads and make a round shape like this and tie it.
5. Make more beads to decorate your lantern like this.
Your project is now ready to submit and expect an A for creativity. Do this style in different designs.
This tutorial is just a basic procedure. You can always do your own style. Use your imagination to create a different design like you can do a solid star without a hole and make an elevated pyramid style in the middle of your star. For the tails you can use a colorful raffles like what a classic lantern has.